2014/10/09

F1: The day death became close again



“Sunday was the worst race of my life. Even worse than the race of my accident.” Those words came out of the mouth of Felipe Massa at today’s press conference. Words that say a lot. And I think they pretty much say what many drivers and fans are thinking. Sunday was a horrible day and for fans like me, who weren’t born when Ayrton Senna died, the first time we were really confronted with how close death (still) is in Formula One.

“All our thoughts are with Jules” and “We race for Jules” are two of the sentences I have heard and read a lot today on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook profiles from F1 drivers. They have stickers on their helmets and cars to support Jules and his family. Try to put yourself in their position, just five days after one of their colleagues and friends has crashed, they have to get back into their car and race. They have to completely focus on their racing because if they don’t, the risk they would crash themselves becomes larger.  

On top of that I can imagine not thinking about Jules Bianchi during the racing will be immensely difficult for them this weekend. The young Frenchman will be in all of our thoughts this weekend, as he has been the whole week. And I have to admit, this may sound stupid for some people who don’t know what we’re going through right now, but I live in a state of constant fear. Every time I switch on my phone, when I go on Facebook or Twitter, I’m afraid I will see the news Jules didn’t make it. I am trying to stay positive and tell myself he will make it, but the fear he won’t is also there. 

I know I’m not the only one going through this because all the actions to support Jules this week has been heartwarming. #DressForJules this Wednesday when all people were asked to wear red or other F1 related clothes, #BianchiDay today on Instagram and Twitter, organized by F1 Connection. And there were probably many more and I’m sure there will be many more this weekend. We, the Formula One fans, stand together. We all hope for the same thing: good news from one of our young, very talented drivers. That’s the only thing that matters right now. The racing doesn’t this weekend. Whoever may win on Sunday, they win for Bianchi. My boy Jules, we are all here with you and we believe you will make it. I end with a sentence I have read on Twitter some days ago: "If he can finish ninth with a Marussia, then he can do this as well." 

 

Forza Jules! 


Catya Leroux

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten